If you’re using Twitter you need to be taking advantage of Twitter lists. Lists are a great way to organise who you are following (and even who you are not following) into groups defined by you. This useful feature allows you to group and track streams of tweets from others, even if you are not following them.
What’s so Good about Twitter Lists?
- Having a list can help keep you in touch in a more focused way, it allows you to avoid the busy clutter of your feeds. This can then help you save you time as you can then focus your attention to the important and relevant stuff.
- They are an easy way to discover new people.
- Twitter lists enable you to group other Twitter users together so you can get a quick summary of what they are doing. You can then view latest tweets from users specified in your list. If you want to find information on or join discussions on specific topics, you simply go to the list.
- You only have to follow the list. You don’t have to follow everyone on the list. So you can include people that you are not following, but are just interested in.
Why you need to get on as many (targeted) lists as possible
- Improve your visibility and credibility in your niche.
- Lists make it easier for you to get found.
- Increases your chances of being followed.
- Increases your social media influence, so you can increase your scores on places like Klout.
- Simple customisation – you can create lists grouping people for any reason. So you can use lists to organize your tweets into groups based on anything you want. You might consider creating a list of people that you regularly retweet. Or add value for your readers by providing them with a list of users that provide useful information.
How to create a Twitter list
- Login to your Twitter account
- Go to the list section, click ‘create new list’.
- You will be prompted to choose a name for your list. Carefully consider this as it can improve your SEO.
- Decide whether you want others to see it then select if you want a public list (open to anyone) or private list (available only to you).
- Click ‘create list’.
- Now you’ve got your list you can add users. You can search for people to add to your list. Alternatively you can simply add people from your profile page or from any following page. Check the user(s) has been added to the list – click the person icon and select “Add to list”. A checkmark will be added next to lists in which that user is included.
Twitter lists are a great social media marketing tool. So it’s worth taking the trouble to organise your Twitter community into lists. Remember don’t just take the time to create lists but find other lists in your niche, follow them and start conversations with them.
There are many people who seem to be obsessed with getting followers but actually you want to be on as many (targeted) lists as possible. Look at the lists that you’ve been added to. Are they relevant to what you do? Do people have a good understanding of what your services/product are? For example as you can see from this image, I’m being listed under social media.
Are you using Twitter Lists? How do you use them?
5 crazy ways to get Buyers to your website
Subscribe and give yourself an unfair advantage!