I was delighted to have the opportunity to recently interview Jeff Bullas. For years, he has been inspiring businesses and brands all over the world to start using social media and the web to their advantage. I have been an avid reader of his blog , and his latest book, “Blogging the smart way: how to create and market a killer blog with social media” is a must read (you can read a review I wrote a review here).
1. Jeff given that there are so many books on social media, what motivated you to write another one?
Part of the reason was the challenge of writing my first book along with the curiosity of finding out about self-publishing. Another reason is to start creating premium content that monetizes my blog.
2. What is the single most important take away from your book for the business owner?
If there was one important takeaway it is communicating the value of creating contagious content that begs to be shared that positions a business as an expert ion its field.
3. You and I got started in the industry at a time when blogging landscape was less crowded than it is today and there was more money around. Would you say that the Internet bubble has been burst by the economic downturn and over saturation – are there still opportunities for the newcomer to grow blogs as successful as yours?
It was crowded when I started! I think the opportunities are even bigger today with more global internet users. It requires passion to kick it off and then if you are willing to be focused and carve out your niche then anything is possible if you create content and build tribes to share it with on social networks that love what you love.
4. Guest posting is a great way to build your blogging profile; however, now that “everyone” is doing it what advice can you offer to help people to stand out from the crowd when approaching the bigger websites?
Provide such good articles for your category that the websites want to publish you.
5. By now you must have written 1000′s of articles, which ones stand out in your memory? i.e. Are there any that are particularly brilliant or even particularly bad in your view?
I don’t really have any favorites but I am certainly more confident and happier with my writing now than when I started over 3 years ago. One reason I hear from many potential bloggers for not starting is that they can’t write well enough or they want to be perfect before they start.
The learning comes from the action of doing so step right up to the plate and have a go. If you read my first articles, you would understand what I mean by not waiting to be perfect.(if you read them you would understand as they are far from perfect)
I recently wrote and article titled “6 Reasons Why you will Fail at Blogging” that sums up the futility of procrastination. You can read it here
I hope that helps some of you to start the journey and unleash your potential
Thanks so much for your time Jeff, much appreciated. If you want to hear more from Jeff Bullas, check out his blog here. You can read my review of his book, Blogging the Smart Way and find out how to buy it here.
Listed in Forbes as one of the top 20 women social media power influencers and likewise as one of the top social media power influencers, she is one of the most dynamic personalities in the social media market, she actively leverages ethical online marketing for her clients and for Socialable.
After launching her first business within three years of becoming a mother, her financial success was recognised by being a finalist at the Best MumPreneur of the Year Awards, presented at 10 Downing Street. Following a resultant offer and wishing to spend more time with her daughter, she sold her first business to focus on social media, developing a multi-site blog and online marketing portfolio that generates in excess of 600,000 + page views per month.
A business owner, social media consultant, internet mentor and genuine digital guru, Lilach is consulted by journalists and regularly quoted in newspapers, business publications and marketing magazines (including Forbes, The Telegraph, Wired, Prima Magazine, The Sunday Times, Social Media Today and BBC Radio 5 Live). What’s more, her books have achieved No 1 on Amazon for Sales and Marketing and Small Business and Entrepreneurship.
When Lilach isn’t working she enjoys spending time with her family and is an avid fan of Zumba.
Latest posts by Lilach (see all)
- Q&A with @4_Walls – Property Tribes a leading #property - May 19, 2014
- Facebook #Content That Gets Likes & Engagement - April 14, 2014
- Twitter/Facebook? Spot the difference! - April 10, 2014