The flexibility that affiliate marketing offers in terms of working from home makes it highly lucrative. But it can be tough trying to make money through affiliate marketing.
Want to learn how to do affiliate marketing more easily and effectively? Read on…
The key to success in affiliate marketing is picking the right affiliate program. But that’s another problem. There are literally thousands of affiliate programs to choose from. With so much choice, it is not easy to make a decision.
How do you choose the best affiliate program?
Well, there is no single best affiliate program. You need to find what works best for you personally. What is best for you will not be the best for someone else. Why? Because the best affiliate program depends on what your customers will want, use and buy. So consider what visitors to your site would be willing to buy. For example, if you are in the travel industry you will attract travellers to your site, so you are best to promote travel-related products such as hotels, flights, luggage, and tours, so use affiliate programs associated with this. For success, it is essential that you choose the right product.
There are some key points you need to consider when choosing to join an affiliate program…
- Positive feedback on the affiliate program.
- Choose a product that both you and others are interested in (as you will be writing about it, and others need to buy it in order for you to make money). So try to find positive feedback on the company and product you are promoting, as there needs to be demand for the product for you to be successful. Also try to choose a product that has little competition and high search volume.
- Check out the website of the company you hope to promote. Ensure it is reputable and has the potential for strong sales performance.
- Look at earnings per click (EPC) to find out how much you will be earning for each visitor you send to a merchant. EPC=the overall commission divided by the number of clicks.
- Learn the conversion rate of the website you hope to promote. If is poor it will not make you much money.
- Affiliate commission plays an important part on whether to promote a product. Some products offer as high as 50-70%.
- Do affiliates get immediate payment on each sale?
- Ensure that they have multiple payment options (There should be at least two).
- Consider its long term earning potential.
- Cookie duration – Look for a longer cookie duration. Why? If it’s a 30 day cookie, the customer has 30 days to go back to the merchant website to complete their purchase in order for you to receive your commission. If the cookie has expired you will get no commission.
- Ensure the merchant provides a range of high quality tools for its affiliates. If you have no effective tools, driving traffic will be much more difficult.
- Do they offer affiliate support? Is there a dedicated affiliate manager that will provide you with the tools and help as required?
- Do they provide affiliate training and tips?
- Be cautious of high reversal rates (i.e. high percentage of orders that were cancelled/ returned/ un-commissioned). This could lead to you getting unpaid for your efforts.
- Considering the programs terms and conditions is important as it tells you your rights and what you are restricted from doing.
Overall, deciding on the best affiliate program depends on many factors including, most importantly, the type of your website and your niche. So consider this carefully before making your selection.
Are you making money from affiliate marketing? Thinking about it? What products are your promoting? Please do leave a comment and share your thoughts on affiliate marketing.
Latest posts by Lilach (see all)
- How to make your website traffic convert into sales - May 22, 2013
- 10 ways to get more engagement on #Pinterest - May 21, 2013
- Google+ new features: hit or miss? - May 17, 2013
5 crazy ways to get Buyers to your website
Subscribe and give yourself an unfair advantage!