It’s an image that follows you from site to site. The image may be a picture of yourself or a logo. It will appear alongside your name when you comment on a blog, post to forums, or if your blog is featured on a tag page.
Why should you have a gravatar?
It’s an important part of your online representation. Certainly having a gravatar is much more attractive than the alternative – a white person on a grey background or some other generic, even weird-looking, logo – I’m sure you’ll agree this is not very inspiring. Contrast this with a picture of yourself or logo.
A gravatar is more fun, exciting, and helps identify you in the online world. But a gravatar will do more than just help identify you online. It gives a consistent image that will help brand yourself. It will make the visitors experience and interaction with you more personable. And in an online world it’s so important to stand out for people to remember you.
How do you set up a gravatar?
You’ll be pleased to hear that it’s very easy and quick to set up a gravatar. You can either install a wordpress plugin like http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-gravatar/ or simply follow the 5 steps below.
- Sign up for your Gravatar account – Go to http://www.gravatar.com. Give your email address. Ensure you use the same email that you use for your WordPress site or it won’t work when you come to using it.
- Set up a password – follow link from the confirmation email to set up a password.
- Upload a picture, set up your Gravatar – Now it gets more fun and creative. You have to choose your picture. To add your picture, click on Add a new one. Upload your image (from your computer’s hard drive, the internet, etc.) If you don’t like your existing photos or simply want a more recent one, use your webcam to capture a brand new photo. Remember the picture doesn’t even have to be of you. You might prefer to use a logo. In fact, the image can be of anything you like.
- Crop your picture and set up a rating for the picture you have just uploaded – Choose whether your picture is G, PG, R or X rated. I advise using a G rated picture.
- Associate your Gravatar with your Email address – Click on your uploaded picture to confirm that you want to associate the image with the email address you gave.
Now you are all done, and your gravatar should be ready to go. You never have to pose as that generic-looking white figure again. So long as you enter the email address you set up with – your picture will appear alongside any blog posts or comments that you make.
If you haven’t already set one up, you have very little excuse for not to setting one up now. After all, there are lots of benefits and there are few barriers: it’s free, easy and quick to set one up. It’s a must-have for anyone who is serious about doing business online.
Latest posts by Lilach (see all)
- How to make your website traffic convert into sales - May 22, 2013
- 10 ways to get more engagement on #Pinterest - May 21, 2013
- Google+ new features: hit or miss? - May 17, 2013
5 crazy ways to get Buyers to your website
Subscribe and give yourself an unfair advantage!