Whatever your goal, your ability to acquire subscribers will likely determine your success. If you follow these 4 tips, you will be able to increase the number of subscribers you receive, and decrease the number of unsubscribes.
Overcome Common Fears & Objections
If you want to increase subscribers, and become more influential in general for that matter, you need to learn how to overcome the common fears and objections that people have.
When it comes to signing up to a list, there are 4 common questions that people are subconsciously asking. On your capture pages, make sure that you address these.
Lets take a look at each of the common questions that we are subconsciously asking. You will notice that Lilach does well to address every one here on sociable, so we will look at how she overcomes them too.
- Is my email going to be safe? - On the main subscribe tab of Sociable, (Not the opt in box to the right of this post) there is a bit of text that says “Your Privacy is SAFE”. More importantly though, Lilach’s reputation and the amount of value she offers on this blog helps reassure people that she can be trusted with their emails.
- What’s different about you? - As opposed to a number of blogs out there, nothing is over promoted or oversold here at Sociable. She also distinguishes herself from the crowd by offering a free eBook.
- Whilst most blogs are offering free eBooks nowadays, I have never seen one about creating and distributing an Infographic before. (Make sure you sign up to take a look at that, it’s crammed full of value.)
- Do you just want to sell me stuff? -I think it’s pretty clear that Lilach doesn’t come across as somebody that wants to cram products or affiliate links in your face.
- Am I going to expect to receive countless emails from you? - Lilach makes it clear that you can expect to receive emails from her twice a week.
Be Precise With What You Are Offering
There is nothing more annoying than having to opt in to an email list before you find out what you are going to get. In fact, if you aren’t being clear with what they can expect, people won’t subscribe. It’s as simple as that.
Be completely clear with what they can expect in your emails, and reassure them that they are going to get incredible value in doing so.
Remember this is essentially a trade. They are trading access to their email inbox for the value you are offering them. If they don’t even know the value they are going to receive, it isn’t a trade any more, it’s a donation.
And if you are developing your business or blog on the idea of receiving donations in order to succeed, you won’t get very far.
Focus On The Benefits Not The Features
Instead of focusing on the features of your free Ebook by naming it “10 Techniques For Driving Traffic To Your Blog”, name it “10 Techniques For Driving Traffic To Your Blog That Will Explode Your Business & Increase Sales”
Now I know that Sociable doesn’t do this. But this is because the newsletter is centered around the updates you will receive on a weekly basic. The free Ebook is something that is thrown in on the side.
You will notice that Lilach’s opt in boxes focus on the benefits through phrases such as “take advantage of social media to boost your business” and “give yourself an unfair advantage”. Readers are also compelled to sign up because she makes it clear that the best stuff goes out in her newsletter.
Set Expectations & Keep To Them
Whenever somebody signs up to your list, they have clear expectations for what they are going to receive, based on what you said to get them to sign up in the first place.
The fastest way to get people to unsubscribe is to defy the expectations you set at the beginning. Whilst it would be acceptable to occasionally only send one email out in a week if you told them you would send two. It doesn’t work the other way around. If you were to send them an email every day, with five of them being promotional, your subscribers will unsubscribe.
So there we are. Start implementing these tips into your email marketing strategy and you will be surprised at how fast you develop your list.
Make sure you sign up to Lilach’s newsletter, to get her updates, which are packed full of value. Leave me a comment below if you have liked this post, or if you have any questions.
Latest posts by Daniel Blinman (see all)
- 4 Essential Email Marketing Tips For Increasing Subscribers - March 13, 2013
5 crazy ways to get Buyers to your website
Subscribe and give yourself an unfair advantage!